Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I don't even know if we are are on week 3 or 4 of potty training.  It still sucks.  But we are progressing. I want to remember how it went for Isaac, so I'm documenting the process for the next 2 boys.

How we have progressed so far:

  • Began with the bottomless approach.  Isaac did great.  Would go on potty chair every time.  Made a sticker chart and after every big or little success he got a sticker.  After 5 stickers he got a special treat of his choice. 
  • Put on underwear.  Would pee in them instantly. Put on loose pants only.  Yep...pee.  Let's try shorts.  Nope...pee again.
  • Back to pantless behind until friend Eli came who is also potty training.  He had big boy undies on.  Isaac was open to trying them the next day.  I also let him have 1 candy (M&M or sweet tart) after the timer went off and he was still dry.  This was a hit...instant reward was what he liked.  I increased timer 5 minutes if he was successful.  Accidents here and there but at least we had underwear and pants on. I have tried non-candy rewards like trucks, toy bugs, crayons, etc. He goes straight for the candy.
  • This is pretty much where we stand after 3-4 weeks.  Accidents when we forgets.  Can tell he is beginning to try to "hold it" when he has to go now.  He gets sad when he wets and knows he doesn't get a treat. I don't even remind him he gets a treat unless he tells me. 
So we are progressing but still have a ways to go.  He doesn't keep himself wet through naps and nighttime so I'll tackle that after we can go during the day with wetfree pants.  I'm just happy he has his little butt covered now. Would I take him out in public with underwear????...not yet. :-)

1 comments:

The O Family said...

FWIW, Cora was almost 3 before she consistently stopped having accidents while awake; 3 1/2 when she no longer needed a pull-up at naptime, and 4 before she could go all night without an accident. The sleeping w/out accidents has more to do with your child's bladder muscle control, according to my pediatrician. So there's not much you can do to force it to happen since it's outside of your child's control. If he is still wetting at bedtime when he's 4 or 5, you can try a pad underneath him that when it gets wet sounds an alarm. This will eventually get him to point where he'll wake up when he has to go. But for the next few years, I wouldn't worry about him wearing a pull-up at night.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The Colorado Fullers. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.